Get a behind-the-scenes look at the admissions process from Kris Anderson, the UWEC admissions director

Friday, April 30, 2010

May 1

May 1 is the date that all colleges and universities aim for. It is the day that students need to tell us their intentions on enrolling....either, "Yay, I'm coming in the fall," or "Sorry about that, but I am headed somewhere else." Although we do our best trying to predict what an 18-year old is going to do, it is hard.

Our year this year looks good but there are still a lot of unknowns. Will the economy mean that students might live at home and commute at higher numbers? I know I have received a few phone calls to that effect in the past few days. Will our competitors take more students off their waitlists? Will financial aid come through in the amount students expect? All of these factors come into play this time of year. For me, I'll know more on Monday when I get a report on cancellations.

Ultimately, I hope students make the best decision for themselves and make it based on the priorities that are important to them. But in the meantime, we all wait.....

Kris

No comments: